As 2018 draws to a close, like many people, I am reviewing the past year and thinking of what I want to accomplish in the New Year. I don’t really call them “resolutions” but I do set goals and this is a good time to review and tweak them.
For 2019, I resolve to STOP WAITING. “Waiting” is different than procrastination. I think procrastination is not doing something either because you don’t want to, or you don’t feel like it yet. Waiting, on the other hand, is like not taking responsibility for your inertia. It is “I can’t do x yet because someone else hasn’t done y“, where y is something you think is outside your control. It’s a victim stance. I do this a lot and I hate it. Examples:
- I can’t sell my art because my programmer hasn’t built my online shop yet.
- I can’t post pictures of my artwork on my website because my friend hasn’t come over to take good photos yet.
- I can’t write a blog post because I’m waiting for my website to be redesigned.
- I can’t put together an art show because I’m waiting for someone else to do it.
- I can’t book a gig because my band mates haven’t given me their schedules yet.
- I can’t exercise because my workout partner is busy today.
All of these are examples of playing the victim by “waiting” until someone else does their part so you can go on with your life. I do not know why, but I do this. And I recognize it.
In addition, I will stop “waiting” until the time is right. You know, “waiting” until I finally have the perfect thing to write about or the perfect finished artwork to share. The perfect thing and the perfect time is This and Now. So, for now, I will post a painting I am still working on in my studio. It isn’t perfect and it isn’t finished. I plan to finish it this week and get it ready to show in February. It will be for sale then.
Truth is a function of time. I think Einstein said that. I digress. But think about that.
Anyway, Here’s to 2019 being a year of DOING, not waiting. Let’s live our truth in 2019.